The Dallas Handweavers and Spinners Guild is an incorporated, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote and encourage an interest in the fiber arts, and educate individuals and the broad community in activities and techniques, specifically those related to hand weaving and hand spinning.
Founded in 1972, DH&SG boasts an active membership from the North Texas area. Our members represent a wide variety of interest and talents in the fields of:
- traditional pattern weaving
- tapestry weaving
- off-loom and other innovative weaving techniques
- the art of hand spinning
- dyeing yarns with both natural/vegetable and chemical dyes
- fiber sculpture
Some benefits of belonging to our organization are:
- attending informative programs throughout the year
- having access to an extensive library on the subjects of weaving, spinning, dyeing, sewing with handwovens, and more
- qualified to exhibit in the organization’s juried exhibitions
- participating in demonstrations in weaving, spinning and dyeing throughout the North Texas area
- priority registration in workshops led by local, regional, and national instructors held in Dallas
- mentorship for beginning weavers, spinners and dyers from members with decades of experience
- fellowship in a community of like minded individuals, many who have been practicing these arts for many years
We meet at CC Young, 4847 W. Lawther Drive, Dallas, in the Point Building in the room behind the gym. Conversation from 9:30ish and Meeting begins at 10:00 a.m. Our six bi-monthly programs are a wide range of topics this year.
- July 7, 2018 – TBA
- September 1, 2018 – TBA
- November 3, 2018 – TBA
- December – Off the Shelf (potluck lunch with optional gift exchange) – Date & Location TBD
- January 5, 2019 – TBA
- March 2, 2019 – TBA
- May 4, 2019 – TBA
Spinning meetings are separate from the general meeting and available to all guild members. The Spinners generally meet the last Friday of each month for spinning and potluck. The usual time is 10:00 to 2:00 with the potluck lunch is around noon. Check the newsletter for location or call Emily Walker for information.
We welcome you to visit one of our regular meetings to meet us and find out more about our guild!